Long Marston was opened in 1859 to serve the villages of Long Marston and Quinton. Starting out with a single platform, it gained a staggered second platform in 1872 as well as a signal box. The staggered platform arrangement was done away with in 1892, when the up platform was rebuilt opposite the down platform. The station gained even more status with the doubling of the line in 1907.
Long Marston saw even more activity during World War II with the construction of an airfield and more importantly a depot for use by the Ministry of Defence. The war period was to be the busiest of the station's life, but the post-war period showed a decline in traffic. Goods services were withdrawn in September 1964 and passenger services in January 1966. The only traffic left was that for the MOD depot (now a storage facility for withdrawn rolling stock) and that for the Birds Commercial Metals Ltd scrapyard, and the line from here to Honeybourne was reworked to minimise signalling and movement, effectively turning the last stretch of the line into a long siding. The line north of the station has been turned into a cycleway.